Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Junior Great Books

Is It Time for Book Club?  YES!!!

A Description of Junior Great Books

I've had several parents ask me "What's this book club thing my kid is talking about?" so I thought this would be a great opportunity to discuss it!  The classroom teachers and I have been working to make sure each student is being challenged at his/her own reading level... we want our kids to SHINE!  Because of this, several of our 2nd-5th graders have been meeting once or twice a week in the Learning Commons to discuss an assigned book, and they're LOVING it!!

The official title of our book club is Junior Great Books, but the kids and I have chosen to call it Book Club.  During these meetings, we read the story, then learn the vocabulary associated with the book.  We read it a second or third time to look at the story from different viewpoints and to answer specific questions... basically, we dissect the book!  I've never really thought about it, but what we are doing is basically biology class for books. :)

The kids are LOVING these book clubs.  It gives them a chance to think about and discuss in-depth what they are reading.  

The number one goal of our book clubs is to learn how to have an educated conversation about books.  I want the kids to learn how to independently read the same book and discuss it in small groups on their own.  If your child is in one of our book clubs, ask them about it!  I hope they tell you how much they love it!
~ Mrs. Wahp.

No comments:

Post a Comment